Thursday 8 November 2012

Britain's Got Talent - First Impressions...

I know someone who is going for a Britain's Got Talent audition!

Of course, I'm not at liberty to divulge any information whatsoever on pain of death, but I'll be curious to hear how the experience was over a cup of coffee in the near future.

I have no idea what their chance of getting anywhere will be - a naked knife-throwing dog act on stilts may not be to everyone's liking - but hey, it's not me that's entering!

Their act will be a pure and simple performance, letting the personality shine through in a gentle way. No frills, no fireworks - just ninety seconds of something sweet and gentle. Ninety seconds! That's all the time they will get to impress. The wait beforehand could be hours, but those ninety seconds will be vital. When I know more, I'll let you know.

The skill of impressing in a short space of time is what we all strive for I think. For me it has to be the opening of a book. Those first 600 words or so are vital. It is apparently just about the most an agent will read before moving on to the next book. A sobering thought!

So, over the months, I have been paring back my books and honing as much as I can to get it right. At the moment, I'm more than happy with the opening of Slow Poison. I believe it sets the tone, draws the reader in and hopefully will propel you forward into reading more.

The old cliché comes to mind. You only have one chance to make a first impression.

Not strictly true in these days of ePublishing, but you get the picture.

So, my friend at BGT had better get it right.

I hope I did...

Let me know what you think. You can check out Slow Poison's opener by clicking this link; Slow Poison - Read The Opening Here




ps. I'm due for that cup of coffee any day, so I'll let you in on the BGT juicy bits...

No comments:

Post a Comment