Wednesday 22 August 2012

Casimir Greenfield - Candles, I Need More Candles!

Oh, you know that hackneyed expression... 'Burning the candle at both ends'. To do that, you need to place a glass on a saucer (to catch any drips) and lay the candle across the top so that both ends are accessible. Strip back to the wick and ignite.

Okay. None of us are going to try that little trick, but my sleep thing is getting serious. I'm beginning to find sleep to be an annoying interruption. That can't be good for me.

There are too many ideas running around my brain and I could use Lenin and McCarthy's Eight Days A Week to get everything done. (It was them, wasn't it?)

I've learned to multi-task. I'm a guy. It's not easy! So now I can do two or more things really badly instead of just the one. And I can clear the damage up too. The days are getting shorter, so I'm up before dawn again. The ideal scenario would be to follow the long days around the globe. Oh to be Hemmingway!

Ultimately, I just have to go with the flow. Each new task serves to recharge the batteries and dipping back into my past has revived my Zen principles.

I'm Libran, so there is the constant need for balance in my life. There's probably a split personality too. I know there is. I have a life with another name, so I have to switch constantly. I speak two languages fluently also and that brings the split sharply into physical focus. Schizophrenic almost.

So, those candles. Metaphoric they may be, but when I go to sleep there is a gentle glow near my pillow. The glow emanates from two plastic toys that stem from my children's childhood. You remember those little Gloworms? Mrs G thinks that they are probably toxic, full of radiation and would go a long way in explaining my light insanity. Her theory. I'm not insane. I'm just a writer.

I'll leave you with the image of The Two Ronnies. That should bring a smile to your lips (if you're a Brit - everyone else will need to Google them...)

The scene; a hardware store, old style - shopkeeper and customer.

I want four candles.
Fork Handles?
No, four candles.
We're all out of fork handles...


You get the picture.

Has anyone got a light?

Casimir Greenfield on Authonomy


No comments:

Post a Comment