Tuesday 11 September 2012

Casimir Greenfield - It's A County Affair

Just a little aside, really, in response to a blog I discovered along the way.


Here in Old England, we are in the midst of our county fair season too. Because of the extraordinarily wet summer over here, much has been cancelled, so our local fair of last Sunday became a major attraction for many of the surrounding counties.
Not that Mrs G and I dropped in. As per usual, we were going against the grain and all we encountered were the unprecedented queues and overheated vehicles as we attempted to weave our way in and out in a bid to make it on time to visit a cloth mill that had been my childhood neighbour.
I grew up in the shadow of this cloth mill, one of hundreds that had been active in my part of the world. My aunt and uncle worked there, my mother worked at an adjacent mill. The mill is under redevelopment and this was to be the final opportunity to visit before the building work began.
We were not disappointed. There will be more of this when the time is right.
The county show? A resounding success of course. The weather was stunning, the visitor numbers twice that of last year. But, next year, we may well try to visit New England in the fall and see how the new guys do it!

1 comment:

  1. The new guys. Heh. Hit me up for recommendations when you come over.

    Also--I'm quite flattered my blogpost triggered one of your own.

    ReplyDelete