Saturday 8 September 2012

Don't Give Up The Day Job!

Writing is what I do, but there are other things in my life. Apart from my music, I am also a partner in a delightful vintage shop at the heart of the Cotswolds.

I have a fashion degree, grew up in a mill cottage and spent my formative years fighting in the great fashion wars of the late 1960s.

My mother was a spinner and indeed, many of my extended family members worked in the textile industry, so it was a given that I would probably have an interest in some area of the rag trade.

Tomorrow morning I will be revisiting the wonderful mill that was my childhood bedroom window view. The mill is to be re-developed as apartments, and tomorrow will be the last opportunity for the general public to have a peek behind the scenes.

Because of my family connections, Mrs G and I will be part of a troupe of insiders and we will be given a tour by someone that knew my mum. I think that a few tears might fall.

So, today, I'm ruling the roost in the vintage shop. And I love it!

I thought I might have the chance to do some writing, but this blog is the first chance I've had. We have a popular shop and the place has been wall-to-wall all day. It's 15.45 and I'm just about to have my second cup of coffee. I hope this one will be hot! Running a shop is a good place to slim, too - I've had just a handful of nuts since I opened at 8.30...

So, no writing as such, but I have heard the most fascinating anecdotes today - fuel and food for thought. It's the perfect place for research. I make a bit of money doing it too.

My next book involves haute couture ( I typed hate couture by mistake - very apt) so all of this is good stuff.

I'll be here until 18.00 hrs and I'm not complaining.

Will I ever give up the day job? All I can say is that the publisher's advance would have to be a big one to make me do it...

Must dash...the royal milliner has just popped in...


Mr G's Vintage Shop                                          Mr G's On-line Shop





2 comments:

  1. This is fascinating to me. I wish I knew you when I was living in London and some US friends "kidnapped" me briefly to the Cotswolds. I totally would've visited your shop. Also, it would have been nice to see if there were any part of the Cotswolds not infested with late-middle-aged Americans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...very few have found us yet!

      The current project (under a nom de plume) is firmly based in the vintage fashion business...I'll be posting info when the work is complete. Meanwhile, here's a secret link to the shop's site
      www.stroudvintage.com

      Delete